Care and Support

Independent living is about ensuring you have the choice, control and responsibility over your life. Equal Lives is an independent organisation, and we provide information and advice about support services from Norfolk County Council if you have care needs.

What do we mean by care needs? To give you an idea, if you have difficulties with the kind of issues or tasks listed below, then you may benefit from an assessment to see whether you are entitled to support:

  • Domestic
  • Social (building or maintaining relationships)
  • Nutritional
  • Parenting or caring
  • Access to education, training or work
  • Personal care.

For example, a Personal Assistant (PA) might be needed to help with your personal care, so you may get funded to cover this cost.  There is a more detailed guide if you look at the information we provide in our Factsheet ‘Assessment of your needs’ – see the sidebar on the right and click on Personal Budgets.

These services should help you to live as independently as possible.  We want to help you understand what you may be entitled to, how to apply for help, what choices you have, and how to achieve your aims.

We will guide you through the process of getting an assessment from Norfolk County Council right through to setting up your support.

Each of the sections shown in the sidebar on the right explains the different steps that will happen during the process.  The order that these sections are laid out may not necessarily be the order in which they happen for you.

On our website you will find lots of useful information relating to Direct Payments, Personal Budgets, Personal Health Budgets, and funding your own support as well as information about support planning, recruitment, employment, payroll and supported accounts. There are several Factsheets to support you with certain processes (e.g. recruiting someone to work for you) and to provide you with advice and guidance around areas you may not know about (e.g. managing maternity).

We are here to support you with your care and support needs whether you are receiving a Personal Budget from Norfolk County Council, a Personal Health Budget from NHS Continuing Health Care, or funding your own support privately.

We offer regular opportunities for all disabled people and carers in Norfolk to meet locally to discuss issues with each other in a supportive environment at our Independent Living Groups.

Please see the Factsheet on the right for how to ask Norfolk County Council to assess you for any assistive technology.  This is available to anyone over 18 living in their own home.

Assistive technology is a range of electronic gadgets that can help you to live independently in your own home.  This includes things such as:

  • Sensors/detectors that link to a monitoring centre (via your rented community ‘pendant’ alarm).  For example smoke, low temperature, falls, and property exit sensors
  • Global Positioning System (GPS) location devices that use a mobile network to raise an alert to a carer or monitoring centre, e.g. the ‘buddi’ GPS device
  • Triggers/sensors that can support a person or their carer in and around the home.  For example pendant buttons, door contacts or motion sensors linked to a pager


Back to top