Are you in Crisis?

Crisis contact list

Care Charter Logo

Equal Lives has signed up to the Harwood Care & Support Charter following a request as a provider of services from Norfolk County Council to sign up to the charter that they too are signed up to. This means that we are committed to listening to people to understand how their needs can be best met, either through our own services or others. When people who face disabling barriers, their families or carers contact us in a crisis we aim to provide information, advice and support as soon as we possibly can. Our commitment to the Charter means we do not want to leave people unsupported, and we hope that the contact details below will be helpful.

You can find out more about the charter and the principles here:

Norfolk County Council

Can provide access to advice and support about a range of issues such as arranging support at home for those in urgent need, and advising on safeguarding concerns.

Call: 0344 800 8020 Website:

Suicide Prevention

Norfolk County Council has details of new support available around suicide prevention. Have a look at the resources available at  This includes a downloadable mobile app called ‘Stay Alive’ designed for those at risk of suicide as well as people worried about them.

This page is for those supporting someone who may be considering suicide:

Swift response

If you have urgent, unplanned care needs, for example if you have fallen but are unhurt, Swift Response service operates 24 hours a day and is free for Norfolk residents over the age of 18.  Call 0344 800 8020, option 1.

Norfolk County Council’s Norfolk Community Directory

Norfolk Community Directory provides Norfolk residents and families with information on services, activities and groups across Norfolk:  They have included information from all kinds of organisations who help people to keep healthy, be sociable, physically active, mentally active, raise their aspirations for educational achievement, help their community, stay independent, feel included, get involved, improve their well-being, stay safe, find suitable care and support, find help looking after their children, and get family support.

Trusted Traders

The Trusted trader directory provides details of reputable local businesses that comply with consumer protection law and are fully insured.

Email: Call: 0344 800 8020

Food banks

Most food banks are run by the Trussell Trust. This is a Christian charity that provides assistance to people of all backgrounds and all faiths, or none, who are found to be in genuine need. They work by referral from a range of professionals (such as doctors, health visitors, social workers)who identify people in crisis and issue them with a food bank voucher, which provides 3 days’ worth of emergency food. Equal Lives can issue vouchers for Norfolk Food banks.

Email: Call: 01508 491210

Homelessness, housing and rights

Your local authority may have a statutory duty to provide assistance to homeless households. Find the Housing Department of any local authority by following this link:

Bishopbridge House – A direct access hostel for people who are street homeless.

Email: Call: 01603 666563

Shelter – Offers advice and support about a wide range of housing issues.

Email: Call: 0344 515 1860

Homeless UK – A website providing advice and support about a wide range of housing issues:

Pottergate ARC – ‘drop-in’ advice centre for rough sleepers.

Call: 01603 663496

Stonham HomeStay provides tailored housing-related support to people in the community, supporting people to prevent homelessness, maintain tenancies, access accommodation, increase life skills and enable people to live more independently.

Email: Call: 0845 155 0390 (local rate from landlines)

West Norfolk Advice Hub housing advice service

Email: Call: 01553 223113

Modern Slavery Helpline

Call: 0800 0121 700

Domestic Abuse

Norfolk Police

Call: 101 for non-urgent enquiries or 999 in an emergency

National 24 hr Freephone Domestic Violence Helpline
Call: 0808 2000 247

Leeway Provides information, advice and support to people who are affected by domestic abuse.

Email: Call: 0845 2412171 Website:

Women’s aid Provides information, advice and support to people who are affected by domestic abuse.

Email: Call: 0117 944 44 11

Pandora Project supports women and children affected by domestic abuse in West Norfolk and Swaffham

Call: Advice Line 07526 257857  Fridays  10am-3pm  Website:

Galop (for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people)

Call: 0800 999 5428  Website:

National Centre for Domestic Violence

Call: 0844 8044 999  Website:

The Harbour Centre (24 hour helpline for victims of sexual assault)

Call:  01603 276381

National Domestic Violence Helpline

Call: 0808 2000 247

Sue Lambert Trust is a Norfolk based charity which provides support for survivors of sexual abuse.  They offer a range of services including one to one counselling, practical support and group work.

Email: Call: 01603 622406

Men’s Advice Line (for men experiencing Domestic Abuse)

Call: 0808 801 0327

Bright Sky mobile app is available from  This is a free to download mobile app providing support and information to anyone who may be in an abusive relationship, or those concerned about someone they know, and provides information about a variety of issues such as online safety, stalking, harassment and sexual consent.

Hate Crime

Many types of bullying or harassment are actually hate incidents or hate crimes. This includes attacks or violence, name calling, damage to property or belongings. Hate crime can be about people’s age, race, religion, disability or sexual orientation. If it’s an emergency you should call the police on 999. If you want to report a non-urgent incident call 101.

Victim Support Provides information, advice and support.

Email: Call: 0300 3030 165

Equal Lives We are a reporting centre for hate crime.

Email: Call: 01508 491210

Norfolk Constabulary has set up dedicated web pages for ‘Stop Hate in Norfolk’ (known as SHiN) at  This provides a set of resources for tackling hate crime in Norfolk.  A free hate incident e-learning package will shortly be made available to organisations and members of the public.

Substance misuse

There are a range of statutory and voluntary agencies providing advice and support about alcohol and drug use including:

Change Grow Live run the Norfolk Alcohol and Drug Behaviour Change Service, which is a free and confidential service for adults (including offenders), families, carers and affected others.

Call: 01603 514096 or email

Phoenix+ Norcas

Call: 01603 660 070 Website:

Al-anon – (for families and friends of people with alcohol problems)

Email: Call: 020 7403 0888 Website:

Families Anonymous

Email: Call: 01603 617905

Alcoholics Anonymous

Email: Call: 01603 621128 (local helpline) Call: 0845 7697555 (national helpline)

Narcotics Anonymous Helpline

Call: 0207 7300 009


Call: 0800 776600 (for advice about specific drugs/ 24 hour helpline)

Mancroft Advice Project (MAP)

Email: Call: 01603 766994 Website:

PADA (Parents Against Drug Abuse)

Call: 08457 023 86718 (helpline)

General Health 

GP’s provide the majority of advice, support and treatment for health-related issues. Other useful agencies include:

City Reach This agency provides healthcare services for people who find it difficult to visit or access mainstream GP services. This includes people who are homeless, those at risk of being homeless, sex workers, prisoners, ex-offenders, people with problems linked to alcohol/ drug use, travellers and asylum seekers.

Call: 0800 028 7174 or reception on:  01603 612 481


Mental Health

Most referrals to mental health services come through GPs. If people are currently being supported by the Norfolk and Suffolk Foundation Trust, they can contact the Trust in an emergency. Where people are not existing service users of the Trust, these other agencies can also offer advice and support:

Call: 01603 421239

Samaritans Confidential and non-judgmental emotional support whenever you need someone to talk to.

Call: 08457 90 90 90

MIND run a free phone support line which runs from 4pm to midnight Monday to Friday, and 10am to midnight on Saturday and Sunday.   They will offer coping strategies, emotional support, practical advice and signposting, and will also refer on to the Crisis Team if appropriate.

Call: 0808 802 0208

ChildLine Provides information, advice and a counselling service for children and young people. You can also call the helpline if you are an adult worried about a child.

Call: 0800 1111

NHS 111 Provides urgent medical help or advice when it isn’t a life-threatening situation.

Call: 111

Wellbeing Service

Call: 0300 123 1503 Website:

Suicide Prevention

Norfolk County Council has details of new support available around suicide prevention. Have a look at the resources available at  This includes a downloadable mobile app called ‘Stay Alive’ designed for those at risk of suicide as well as people worried about them.

This page is for those supporting someone who may be considering suicide:

Other useful services include:

Central Norfolk Child Family and Young Person Service (accepts self-referrals from people over age 14, and referrals from family members)

Call: 01603 201400 or 01603 421950

MIND Provides information, advice and support about mental health, including legal rights.

Email: (general enquiries) Call: 0300 123 3393 Email: (legal enquiries) Call: 0300 466 6463 (for legal advice)

Debt advice

There are a range of agencies providing debt advice and support:

Step Change – debt/ bankruptcy advice, budgeting etc.

Call: 0800 138 1111

National Debt Line

Call: 0808 808 4000 Website:

Money Advice Service

Call: 0300 500 5000 Website:

MoneyWise HomeSafe – can help anyone in the Norwich area


Money Saving Expert – Budgeting Hints and Tips


Turn2Us – information on benefits and grants, budgeting etc.


Christians against poverty – budgeting/ debt advice (home visits available)

Call: 0800 328 0006

Shelter/ British Gas – advice and grants (self-referrals accepted)

Call: 0344 5151860


Norfolk Community Law Service (NCLS), in partnership with the Suffolk Discrimination Law Service (SDLS), hold monthly advice sessions at NCLS in Norfolk. The sessions take place on the first Monday of every month at St Clements House (2-16 Colegate, Norwich) between 12.00 and 3.00 pm. Website: If you live in Suffolk, contact SDLS for an appointment by calling: 01473 408111

General information, advice and support services

National Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC)

Call: 0808 800 5000 Website:

Young Parents Advice offer support to anyone whose children are in need, deemed at risk, in care or adopted


Royal British Legion and SSAFA For anyone who has served at least one day in HM forces, including their dependents.

Email: Call: 0808 802 8080 Email: Call: 01603 403322

Britannia Veterans Centre at Britannia Road, Norwich NR1 4LU is now open as a contact point for all Member Charities. It provides a single venue in which to meet the widest possible range of support with the collective aim of signposting people to the right agency or charity to address their needs.


Call 01603 611708

Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund provide a range of support aimed at serving and former RAF personnel. They include welfare breaks for families and veterans, grants to help with getting about inside and outside the home, specialised advice on benefits and care services and support for young people through our Airplay programme.


The Bladder and Bowel Foundation have a useful card that can give you access to toilet facilities that might not otherwise be available to you, if you need to use toilets urgently when you are out and about.  Contact

Citizens Advice Provides advice on problems with debt, benefits, employment, housing, discrimination, and many more issues


NACRO (National Association for the Care and Resettlement of Offenders) Provides information and advice for ex-offenders, their families and people working with them.

Email: Call: 020 7840 1212

Norfolk Community Transport

Website: or

Self injury national helpline

Call: 0117 927 9600 Website:

Mancroft Advice Project (MAP) Provides advice, counselling and youth work for young people

Email: Call: 01603 766994 Website:

Age UK Norfolk

Email: or Call: 01603 787111 Website:

Family Fund – UK’s largest provider of grants to low-income families raising disabled and seriously ill children and young people

Email: Call: 01904 621115 Website:

‘In my place’ Carers Emergency Service – you will need to join this by completing a form called a ‘carer’s emergency plan’ and a card with an emergency number will be sent to you; in an emergency care workers from the service will be able to take your place for up to 72 hours. Call: 0344 800 8020 Online enquiry form:

You are not alone (YANA) – Help for those in farming who may be affected by stress and depression


Local Assistance Scheme – Depending upon criteria you may be entitled to support via the Local Assistance Scheme which can support with costs of household goods and pre-paid cards as well as the costs of gas,e ecltricity and food. Find out more here:

Interactive Social Care Finder

Looking for social care in your area? Click the link below to go to a Social Care finder, where you can look for care provision by postcode.

Social Care info button

Back to top