We would like to know what it is like for people living in different parts of Norfolk with a physical or sensory impairment, mental health condition or a learning difficulty/disability. Where you live, do you face barriers in different areas of your life that stop you doing the things you want to do the way you want to do them? Or do you have positive experiences that you would like to highlight as good practice so others may learn? We want to hear from you about your every day experiences of living in your town/village.
By telling us your stories it will enable us to collect evidence which can help us to:
- Inform local policies and decision making on a district and Norfolk wide level
- Organise campaigns in response to particular local issues and needs
- Identify areas for future projects
- Help us identify improvements to our services and to shape what we offer in the future
- Raise awareness of the barriers people face in living their day to day lives
- Highlight good practice so others can learn
We would like to hear your experiences about different areas of your life including:
- family life – home life, relationships, parenting etc
- work – access to work, employment support, volunteering, attitudes etc
- independent living – benefits, housing, access, finance, confidence, residential care etc
- going out – sports, social life and cultural activities
- health and wellbeing
- police legal and courts
- transport and travel – local transport, holidays, etc
- discrimination and attitudes – hate crime etc
These are just examples – if your experience doesn’t relate to one of these themes, don’t worry because you will be able to write about it in your own words using the form we have created below alternatively you can also complete one of the surveys on the left if your experiences realte to one of the topics available or you can do both! We will use the information to develop projects and influence change. The information you provide will not be used in a way that you could be identified and is kept securely (following data protection law).
What happens next?
We will let you know the common issues and themes in our members’ newsletter. If you are not a member then please join for free. You do not have to do anything more than share your story, but if you are interested in getting involved in activities then we may contact you if we are looking at developing an activity around a certain type of experience. If lots of people report they are having an issue with something we may get people together to plan a project or campaign. We WILL NOT respond to you individually so please DO NOT use this site to report issues to do with personal safety. If you are concerned about your own personal safety and well being or somebody elses’, please contact our Information, Advice and Advocacy service on 01508 491210, they will either help you directly or tell you about another more appropriate organisation who can help.
You can send us your stories in many different ways:
- Fill out the form at the bottom of the page
- By film – You can make a short film talking about your experience and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Take some photographs to show us your experience
- You could use a voice recorder and talk about your experience and email it to email@example.com
- Do a drawing or painting about your experience
- At one of our open or informal session meetings in Cromer, Thetford, kings Lynn, Fakenham and Great Yarmouth (link to open session page) where you can complete the form by hand
- By writing it down and posting it to us
- If you are a member group you may want to hold a discussion on a particular issue that is relevant to you in your locality